Instilling good habits and taking care of your child’s teeth from a young age is an essential part of childhood oral health. Starting after the first tooth erupts; you can begin setting the stage for your children to enjoy a lifetime of healthy smiles.
The first early visits the dentist office are easy examinations. This is for several reasons. The first is to allow your child to feel comfortable at our office. We want them to be able to relax and feel confident in having their mouths checked. The second reason for early dental examination is to allow us to establish a baseline for monitoring your child’s oral development. This allows us to detect potential problems, and provide early treatment for any issues that do arise.
In addition to bringing your child into our office, you can do several things at home to make sure their smiles are healthy and happy.
- Gently wipe your child’s gums down with a soft washcloth after each feeding, even before the first tooth erupts.
- Begin using a soft toothbrush designed for infants after the first tooth appears.
- Begin flossing once two teeth have come in next to each other.
- Once your child is able to spit out toothpaste effectively, you can switch to one with fluoride in it. A small dab is all that is necessary.
- Encourage an active interest in oral hygiene. Allow your children to begin brushing their teeth on their own when they express an interest. Make sure to watch and encourage proper techniques. You will probably need to follow-up and brush after they are finished for the first few times.
- Do not give infants a bottle of milk or juice at naptime or bedtime. This is a major cause of early childhood cavities.
We know that you want the best for your children, and so we make it our goal to provide a comfortable, welcoming, and positive environment for them to receive dental care. By instilling good habits and routine dental examinations from an early age, you can ensure your children enjoy a lifetime of oral health. To schedule an appointment for your child, call our offices today at (919) 865-0700 (Cary) or
0 (Cornelius) to schedule a consultation.
Holistic Dental Centers
in Cary and Cornelius, NC offer many general and cosmetic options, designed to protect patients’ oral health, as well as overall health and wellbeing.
Dr. Carl McMillan
is a holistic dentist
with a medical degree from the College of Dental Medicine of the Medical University of South Carolina
. Due to his expertise, he was honored with the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
(IAOMT) presidency. He is compassionate towards patients and committed to providing them with safe, toxic-free dental treatments
to help them maintain a happy and healthy smile
Dr. Luis Crespo
obtained his Doctorate of Dental Surgery
from the West Virginia University School of Dentistry. An IAOMT member, he believes prevention is the best medicine and strives to educate both patients and parents on the benefits of maintaining a healthy mind, body, and spirit. He has served underprivileged communities across the world.