The HealthyStart System
Does your child exhibit the following symptoms
- Mouth Breathing
- Swollen tonsils/adenoids
- Crooked teeth
- Tooth grinding
- Bed Wetting
- Sleep talking/walking
- Frequently wakes up at night
- Daytime sleepiness
- Difficulty in School
- Challenges with focus, behavior, and learning
- Aggressive Behavior
If so, they could be suffering from sleep-disordered breathing. Many common childhood health concerns can actually be traced back to developmental problems with the jaws, teeth and oral function. At Holistic Dental Centers, we focus on preventing dental problems whenever possible to help our patients enjoy oral health and overall wellness. We are proud to offer our patients the HealthyStart System. The HealthyStart program is a departure from traditional orthodontics which aims to correct crooked teeth. Instead, HealthyStart focuses on preventing them along with improving oral function and overall health. To learn more about the HealthyStart system, call Holistic Dental Centers at (704) 765-3150 (Cornelius).
Benefits of the HealthyStart System
- Aids in guiding proper jaw development
- Prevents crooked, overcrowded teeth
- Guides proper oral function for lifelong stability of the teeth and muscles
- Treatment can begin sooner than traditional orthodontics
- Benefits the child’s overall health and well being
What is Sleep Disordered Breathing?
Nine out of ten children have sleep-disorder breathing symptoms. Sleep-Disordered Breathing is a general classification for a range of breathing problems from mild cases of snoring to obstructive airways. If your child experiences disruptions in breathing during the night, it sends a signal to the body that indicates less available oxygen. The body’s response is then to slow down the heart rate, raise the blood pressure, and arouse the brain, all of which result in disrupted sleep on many different physiological levels.
If your child snores loudly, gasps or mouth breathes frequently while sleeping, it could be a sign of sleep-disordered breathing.
The connection between Sleep Disordered Breathing and Dental Problems
It has been discovered through research that many children who suffer from sleep-disordered breathing also have underdeveloped jaws and dental arches. When the dental arches are narrow or displaced too far back it is often noticeable when looking at the child’s profile.
The root causes for this are linked to dysfunctions in tongue position and function, lip posture, breathing, and in the ability to swallow correctly. If this condition and or dysfunctions are left untreated, it will prevent proper development of the jaws, disrupt the airway, and could eventually lead to years of treatment in braces. Future implications could result in TMJ disorders as well as adults suffering from obstructive sleep apnea.
Before & After Treatment
How the HealthyStart System helps sleep-disordered breathing
The HealthyStart system is designed to correct breathing and oral dysfunctions along with overall health while simultaneously helping your child’s teeth come in properly. It is a non-invasive treatment that in addition gently guides teeth into proper alignment.
Achieve improved breathing, oral function, and straighter teeth with this process:
- Phase One (Habit Correction) – During this first phase, your child will wear a habit corrector appliance at night to help them become accustomed to wearing an oral device and to correct habits that may be affecting the teeth, such as low tongue position, strengthening the lips to help keep them together, reverse swallowing and mouth breathing. It will also help expand the dental arches. This phase typically lasts 6 months or longer.
- Subsequent Phases (Typically 1 to 2 either following or during habit correction) – Your child is fitted with a custom appliance that he or she will wear every day as directed by their specific treatment plan. The appliance is specifically designed to guide teeth into the proper position and correct the position of the jaws. It will also aid in expanding the dental arches to allow ample room for incoming permanent teeth. Phase two can last for approximately 2-6 months.
*Other phases are dependent on the amount and status of your child’s permanent teeth and or jaw relationships. The specialized devices worn during these stages help correct jaw relationships to enable guidance of the incoming permanent teeth into their proper position by passive or active wear.
Candidates for HealthyStart System
HealthyStart can be used on children as young as 2-7 years old but can also be effective in older children and pre-teens. If your child is exhibiting some of the physical symptoms such as loud snoring, difficulty concentrating, wetting the bed, aggressive behavior, and crowded teeth, we recommend you call Holistic Dental Centers to schedule a consultation.
For more information on the HealthyStart Program or to book an appointment with Dr Luis Crespo, please call our Cornelius office at (704) 765-3150 .
Dr. Carl McMillan is a holistic dentist with a medical degree from the College of Dental Medicine of the Medical University of South Carolina. Due to his expertise, he was honored with the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) presidency. He is compassionate towards patients and committed to providing them with safe, toxic-free dental treatments to help them maintain a happy and healthy smile.
Dr. Luis Crespo obtained his Doctorate of Dental Surgery from the West Virginia University School of Dentistry. An IAOMT member, he believes prevention is the best medicine and strives to educate both patients and parents on the benefits of maintaining a healthy mind, body, and spirit. He has served underprivileged communities across the world.
Dr. Erin Wilbanks graduated from Louisiana State University School of Dentistry in New Orleans with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree. She is an accredited IAOMT member, is SMART (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique) certified and is a member of the Academy of General Dentistry.