Those who have had the misfortune of losing a tooth can visit Holistic Dental Centers’ office in Cary or the one in Cornelius to restore their smiles in the healthiest possible way. One or more missing teeth can have a serious impact on the appearance and health of your smile:
- Appearance – Even just one missing tooth can ruin the appearance of an otherwise healthy, attractive smile.
- Diet – Missing teeth, especially when multiple teeth are missing can reduce chewing efficiency, forcing an individual to avoid healthy, crunchy fresh fruits and vegetables and to adopt a diet of softer, frequently over-processed foods.
- Speech – We rely on contact between the tongue and the back of the teeth to pronounce certain sounds. When teeth are missing, it can cause slurred speech, making it difficult for others to understand you.
- Changes in biting force – The distribution of chewing force is changed by necessity when teeth are missing. This can cause undue stress on the joints in the jaw, potentially leading to facial pain or headaches.
- Alignment – When teeth are missing, the remaining teeth can lean toward the gap, shifting the alignment of your teeth. This increases the risk of periodontal disease and tooth decay because misaligned teeth can be difficult to clean thoroughly.
- Aging – Missing teeth can cause the facial contours to sag, making us look older that we are.
Dental bridges have long been the recommended treatment for the restoration of lost teeth. Although dental implants are fast becoming a popular alternative to a bridge, in most cases, a dental bridge is still the option we recommend. Our doctors believe that if we can avoid putting anything foreign in the bloodstream it is better for the patient’s health.
The dental bridges procedure typically requires two appointments after the initial consultation. During the preparation appointment, the teeth that will be used to anchor the bridge will be shaped, impressions will be taken, and interim restorations will be placed to protect the prepared teeth. The impressions and all pertinent information are sent to a quality dental lab where the bridge will be made and sent to us in about ten days. The patient returns, the final restoration is checked for fit, and if doctor and patient are satisfied, it is cemented into place.
Call our Cornelius office at
or the Cary office at (919) 865-0700 to schedule an appointment to restore the health and beauty of your smile.
Holistic Dental Centers
in Cary and Cornelius, NC offer many general and cosmetic options, designed to protect patients’ oral health, as well as overall health and well-being.
Dr. Carl McMillan
is a holistic dentist
with a medical degree from the College of Dental Medicine of the Medical University of South Carolina
. Due to his expertise, he was honored with the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
(IAOMT) presidency. He is compassionate towards patients and committed to providing them with safe, toxic-free dental treatments
to help them maintain a happy and healthy smile
Dr. Luis Crespo
obtained his Doctorate of Dental Surgery
from the West Virginia University School of Dentistry. An IAOMT member, he believes prevention is the best medicine and strives to educate both patients and parents on the benefits of maintaining a healthy mind, body, and spirit. He has served underprivileged communities across the world.
Dr. Erin Wilbanks
graduated from Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
in New Orleans with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree
. She is an accredited IAOMT member, is SMART (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique) certified and is a member of the Academy of General Dentistry.