Holistic dentistry is about more than teeth. The principles of holism revolve around the understanding that you are a complete individual. Dental problems, dental procedures, and dental materials have potential to affect every part of your body, as well as your overall health and wellbeing. The same could be said of any area of healthcare, and every aspect of your life.
Our goal is to help you achieve and maintain optimal health, longevity, and enjoyment of life. One of the greatest hazards we face in today’s world is silent, insidious, and attacking our health from more angles than you might imagine. Toxins are all around us, in the food we eat, the air we breathe, and often in our own mouths!
Is America sick?
- Over 30 percent of individuals between the ages of 45 and 54 are affected by cardiovascular disease.
- Over the last 60 years, the average sperm count of an American man has decreased by 50%, while the percentage of deformed sperm has continuously increased.
- The number of ectopic (tubal) pregnancies quadrupled between 1970 and 1981.
- Over 5 million Americans suffer from Alzheimer’s and related conditions.
- More than half of all children and adults in this country are afflicted with at least one chronic disease.
- In developed nations, chronic disease accounts for 60 percent of all deaths. Yet in the United States, the number is 70 percent.
Are you being poisoned?
Unlike many other developed nations, the United States will not ban a toxic substance until the EPA proves that it “presents an unreasonable risk of injury to health or the environment.” Sometimes it still isn’t banned. Asbestos has been proven to cause Asbestosis, Lung Cancer, and Mesothelioma. It is banned in the European Union, but not in the U.S.
If you believe that you are not exposed to harmful substances, consider these facts.
- Virtually all prescription medications have documented risks and side effects. More than 600 medicines cause dry mouth, which can lead to cavities, gum disease, and bad breath.
- Anaerobic bacteria are microorganisms that have adapted to survive with little to no oxygen. This causes hidden infections, often occurring in a tooth that has had root canal treatment and been sealed.
- Gum disease, hidden root canal infections, abscesses, and other infections affect the entire body.
- The plastic additive BPA (Bisphenol A) has been associated with heart disease, learning problems, diabetes, cancer, reproductive problems, and much more.
- Nine out of ten Americans have detectable levels of BPA in their blood.
- Fluoride has been linked to organ failure, enzyme and calcium disruptions, and unhealthy thyroid and pineal functioning.
- Mercury is the second most toxic element on earth. Exposure can cause fatigue, depression, suicide, foggy brain, digestive difficulties, and numbness – just to name a few effects.
- Over 70 percent of mercury is absorbed through the lungs, and the FDA states that it can cross the blood/brain barrier as well as passing through the umbilical cord.
- Amalgam fillings are about half mercury. They release a low-level vapor, with elevated levels when chewing.
- According to the American Red Cross, nearly 300 contaminants have been found in infant cord blood samples.
What can you do?
You can take steps to protect yourself.
- Consider holistic alternatives to traditional medicine. Studies show that the more educated a person is, the more likely they are to use alternative medicine.
- Talk to your healthcare provider about a detox program.
- Avoid plastics marked as type 3, 6, 7, or PC.
- Choose organic vegetables and meats.
- Don’t overheat Teflon pans.
- Avoid unfiltered public water.
- Have all metal removed from your mouth.
- Choose a holistic dentist who will never use a material or perform a procedure without firmly believing that it is healthy and beneficial.
If you are ready to schedule your appointment or you would like more information, call Holistic Dental Centers at (919) 865-0700 (in Cary) or
Holistic Dental Centers
in Cary and Cornelius, NC offer many general and cosmetic options, designed to protect patients’ oral health, as well as overall health and wellbeing.
Dr. Carl McMillan
is a holistic dentist
with a medical degree from the College of Dental Medicine of the Medical University of South Carolina
. Due to his expertise, he was honored with the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
(IAOMT) presidency. He is compassionate towards patients and committed to providing them with safe, toxic-free dental treatments
to help them maintain a happy and healthy smile
Dr. Luis Crespo
obtained his Doctorate of Dental Surgery
from the West Virginia University School of Dentistry. An IAOMT member, he believes prevention is the best medicine and strives to educate both patients and parents on the benefits of maintaining a healthy mind, body, and spirit. He has served underprivileged communities across the world.