Dentist in Cary explains how tooth bleaching can provide the best results for teeth whitening
Making a great first impression starts with a happy smile. If you aren’t happy with your smile because of crooked or less than white teeth, you are likely to hide it by closing your lips, covering your mouth with your hand, turning your face, or worse, you may not smile as often as you would like.
Dr. Carl McMillan and Dr. Luis Crespo work with patients in the Cary area to improve the appearance of their smiles. Our team understands that when patients feel better about the appearance of their smiles, they have greater confidence overall. For individuals who are considering teeth whitening options, our dentists offer at home teeth bleaching for effective and safe results.
Teeth whitening options and considerations
There are several ways to whiten your teeth and improve your smile. From the nearly immediate results of in-office whitening treatment to at home professional systems to strips and toothpastes sold at drugstores, patients may feel overwhelmed by the options.
- Over-the-counter treatments: Patients who are looking for the least costly solution may find themselves browsing the toothpaste aisle of the drugstore and reading the claims made on tubes of whitening pastes, gels, or strips. However, because these products are made with a lower concentration of whitening agents than professional products, patients end up feeling less than thrilled with the results. Furthermore, some are made with abrasive materials that can damage the tooth’s enamel
- In-office whitening: Patients who want to brighten their smile immediately ask about in-office treatments. While these treatments do deliver immediate results, they can also have negative side effects such as short-term sensitivity and results that don’t last.
- At-home professional bleaching kits: Teeth whitening that is performed from the comfort of a patient’s own home, under the guidance of a professional dental team is not only convenient, it’s effective. This system uses custom-made dental trays for a comfortable and precise fit and professional-grade bleaching gel to gradually remove stains and lighten the smile. The trays are worn each day for approximately one to two weeks. Patients can wear them while reading, watching television, answering email, or performing household activities.
Benefits of at home teeth whitening
While at home whitening does not deliver immediate results, the dentists at Holistic Dental Center believe that it is the best option. Because the trays are custom-made, and the gel is powered with professional-level concentration, at home whitening will reach all areas of the teeth and safely brighten them. Because the transformation is gradual, the patient can decide when his or her desired results are achieved and can keep the trays and gel for future touch-ups at home.
Keeping your smile bright
Once you’ve brightened your smile and regained your confidence, you may want to consider diet or behavior changes to keep your teeth white. Drs. McMillan and Crespo offer the following tips:
- Kick the coffee habit: Drinks like coffee, tea, and other dark beverages will stain the teeth. If you can give up the morning coffee or tea, your teeth while stay bright for far longer. However, if you can’t get started without an intake of caffeine, try sipping your beverage with a straw to keep the coffee from coming into contact with the front of the teeth. Or, consider brushing your teeth or rinsing with water after your morning cup of coffee.
- Stop smoking: Cigarettes and smokeless tobacco are not only bad for your health, they hurt the appearance of your smile. Ingredients in the tobacco products will stain and yellow your teeth over time. Kick the habit to enjoy a brighter and more confident smile.
- Brush and floss: At home oral health habits are the best way to keep the smile white and healthy. Brushing removes food particles that are on the surface of the tooth and flossing finds the particles that are stuck between the teeth. Both are critical to removing food particles that will stain and yellow the teeth and cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Keep your appointments: Even with excellent at home oral health habits, there are areas of the teeth that you simply cannot reach. At regular dental appointments, you will receive a professional cleaning and give the dentist and his team a chance to spot any potential trouble areas.
For more information about brightening your smile, call the Holistic Dental Center today at (919) 865-0700 to schedule a consultation.