Surprising uses for oral conscious sedation dentistry in Cary and Cornelius, NC
Most people think of sedation dentistry as a means for a fearful patient to get needed dental treatment. Patients from Cary and Cornelius, NC, however, are discovering other situations in which oral conscious sedation is beneficial. Dr. Carl McMillan offers this option at Holistic Dental Centers.
A bit of background
Sedation dentistry refers to a variety of prescription medications that relax anxiety responses in the brain. Sedation is not a pain block, but rather a calming agent. Oral sedation is in a pill form. It is safe for most adult patients, and Dr. McMillian takes extra precautions to minimize the risk of interaction with other drugs.
Your well-being is continually monitored. You are conscious during the appointment (although some patients are so relaxed that they doze off), able to move around, and respond to verbal cues. There is some residual grogginess, so you will need a driver. Afterward, you may have little memory of treatment.
When oral conscious sedation makes sense
In addition to soothing dental anxiety, oral sedation is helpful for:
- Patients with an active gag reflex. Sedation calms sensitivity to hands or instruments in your mouth.
- Convenience. Instead of booking several appointments for a lengthy procedure or multiple treatments, sedation allows Dr. McMillan to complete care efficiently in one visit. That means less travel and missed work time for you.
- Physical disabilities. Your body relaxes, too, reducing strain on your back and lower extremities.
- Speedier healing. This level of relaxation reduces tissue trauma, for faster recovery.
- Cognitive and emotional challenges. These patients may become agitated by clinical sights and sounds, or have difficulty sitting for the duration of a dental appointment.
To find out if oral conscious sedation dentistry may be advantageous for you, schedule a consultation at Holistic Dental Centers. In Cary, NC the number is 919-865-0700, and in Cornelius dial 704-765-3150.