Cary, NC dentist explains how cosmetic dentistry services can help you smile confidently
When you’re embarrassed about your smile, it can affect your self-esteem and your overall wellbeing. Often, patients who feel that their teeth are misaligned, discolored, missing, cracked, or misshaped will hide their smile behind closed lips, by turning their head, or just not smiling as often as they would like. This can lead to feelings of self-consciousness and, over time, can damage your personal and professional relationships.
Dr. Carl McMillan and Dr. Luis Crespo want their Holistic Dental Centers patients in Cary and Cornelius, NC to know that you don’t have to live with an unhappy smile. With a full suite of cosmetic dentistry services, Dr. McMillan and Dr. Crespo can help you smile confidently.
About cosmetic dentistry
Most dentists offer a range of services to improve the oral health and appearance of the mouth. Preventative dental services such as checkups, professional cleanings, and oral exams are designed to keep problems at bay. These services, along with proper at-home care, can help prevent oral health or aesthetic problems in the future. However, even with the best preventative care, problems can occur that affect both the health and appearance of your teeth. Restorative dental services are used to address those conditions that harm the health of your mouth such as tooth decay and gum disease. Cosmetic dental services are used to improve the teeth aesthetically.
How cosmetic dentistry can help you
While many patients seek dental treatment because they want a brighter smile or straighter teeth, there are both aesthetic and oral health benefits. For example:
- Improved confidence: A smile says a lot about a person and is a significant part of our appearance. When patients don’t feel good about their smiles, it can lower their self-esteem. Addressing the cosmetic issues can allow patients to smile confidently without worrying about what others think of their teeth.
- Improved relationships: A smile can show your feelings in a situation, it can help break the ice when you greet new people, and it can provide comfort to your loved ones. If you’re not using your smile to your greatest advantage, your personal and professional relationships could be suffering because of it.
- Improved oral health: Often, oral health conditions that cause damage to the appearance of your smile are also causing damage to the heath of your mouth. For example, teeth that are crowded can cause misalignment, which can lead to pressure, jaw pain, or headaches. Teeth that are broken can become fragile and won’t hold up to everyday functions of the mouth like biting and chewing over time. Addressing these issues does more than just improve your smile, it keeps your oral health in good shape as well.
Types of cosmetic dental services
There are several common cosmetic dental treatments offered by Dr. McMillan and Dr. Crespo.
- Teeth whitening: One of the fastest and least invasive ways to see improvement in your smile is with professional teeth whitening. In just a few weeks, using custom-made trays at home, you can dramatically brighten your teeth. Some patients want a quick fix with in-office whitening treatment, however, this procedure can lead to increased sensitivity and results that don’t last.
- Dental veneers: These thin strips of porcelain are bonded to the front of the teeth and can be used to mask many imperfections such as discoloration, misshapen teeth, and minor misalignment. They can also help provide needed support to teeth that are chipped or cracked. In some cases, patients can address several imperfections with dental veneers, saving time and cost.
- Dental crowns: When a tooth is broken or badly decayed, it needs to be addressed to keep the tooth from further damage. In the past, dentists used a metal filling or cap, which not only contained potentially dangerous metals, it was also quite visible to others. Today, cosmetic bonding can be used to ensure that the dental restoration is a perfect match to the existing enamel.
- Implants: A missing tooth may be one of the most aesthetically-altering oral health conditions, especially if it’s a tooth that is near the front of the mouth. Patients often want it fixed with a long-lasting restoration. Dental implants, which are tiny replacement tooth roots, are attached to a prosthetic tooth that will appear and function like a natural tooth.
For more information about cosmetic dental services provided at Holistic Dental Centers in Cary or Cornelius, call (919) 865-0700