The best type of dental implants is available in the Raleigh area
Both of Holistic Dental Center’s offices, in Cary and Cornelius offer a better alternative to titanium dental implants. The doctors use zirconium implants, avoiding the immunosuppression of titanium and the electrical battery effect of metal. Just 30 years ago, titanium dental implants were applauded as the new technique that would change the face of restorative dentistry. Now they are a commonly used restoration, available through most dental practices. However, zirconium has revolutionized dental implantology.
Zirconia was first discovered in Germany in the late 1700s, but it wasn’t until 1975 that a British physicist developed the process to stabilize the material to create the exceedingly hard ceramic in use today. The stabilization process increased the already high biological stability and improved its extraordinary mechanical properties, earning it the nickname “ceramic steel.”
Since zirconium entered the field of dentistry in the 1990s, its use has steadily increased, today, it is estimated that 20,000 zirconium dental restorations are placed daily. There are numerous advantages to zirconium implants:
- Natural – Zirconium implants eliminate the need to implant metal into the body to create fixed dental restorations. They are the natural, holistic choice for implantation.
- Hygiene – Studies have found that zirconium implants promote healthier gums because they retain less plaque than standard titanium implants do.
- Neutral – Zirconium is indifferent to magnetism and electricity because it has no electromagnetic properties. It doesn’t disrupt electrical signals from the brain to the rest of the body.
- Strength – Zirconium implants’ strength is equal to titanium and the hardness is only surpassed by diamonds in natural materials.
- Biocompatible – Zirconium is absolutely inert, and therefore, is readily accepted by the body. It does not produce an immunological, allergic, or toxic reaction in living tissue.
- Non-Corrosive – A zirconium implant will not corrode, some studies have found a possibility that titanium might corrode in the body.
- Osseointegrative – Multiple studies in the United States and Germany have demonstrated zirconium implants readily fuse with bone tissue.
- Aesthetic – Zirconium is naturally tooth-colored, creating more natural looking restorations.
Improve your smile with general and cosmetic dentistry from a holistic perspective. Consult a doctor at one of our locations for advice on the healthiest way to restore your smile. Call Cary (919) 865-0700, or Cornelius (704)-765-3150 today to schedule a consultation.